K-2 Inquiry Guide
Chapter 2. How Does Climate Change Affect Our World?
This chapter consists of three guided inquiries that start with a provocation and culminate with ideas to take action.
Contributors: Janice Haines and Nathalie Lauriault
Background Information for educators focusing on the environmental effects of climate change across Canada including:
- Changes in Temperature & Precipitation
- Changes to the Cryosophere
- Changes to Freshwater Resources
- Changes in the Ocean Climate
- Biodiversity Changes in Canada
Students will be introduced to systems and how a system is made up of interdependent parts. They will discover through various activities how all the parts need to work together to create a healthy system, illustrated through different examples from all over the world and within the natural environment.
- Bike (can be as an artifact or images Bike Parts)
- Art activity: play doh or pipe cleaners
- Put the "Quest" in Question
- This resource explains how you can use system thinking to tackle the Sustainable Development Goals. Using Systems Thinking to Tackle the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Students will explore their local community, through a neighbourhood walk, noting the systems at work that make it function. Students will also discover how they are part of systems and how they can take responsibility and make positive contributions.
- A Kid’s Guide to Building Great Communities
- Put the "Quest" in Questions
- Community Game Board
- Systems for Community Game Part 2
- Descriptive Words for Places in Your Community
- Scenarios for Dream Community
- Animal or Insect
- Footage Of One Tree Over 365 Days Bringing Out Animals
Students will explore the systems at work in a local natural habitat. Students will discover and understand the importance of how all parts of the natural world are connected and how human impacts can affect the natural system. They will be encouraged to find solutions to help the natural habitat.
- Kindergarten – K-ESS2 Earth’s Systems
- Natural Systems
- Bottle Ecosystem
- Rainforest in Canada! Where? – Pacific Rim National Park Reserve
- Put the "quest" in questions
Chapter 2 Curricular Connections
Physical Education and Health and Wellness